Monday, September 16, 2013

Is it a Banana ?

For ages now I've been meaning to try this pattern so when Knit4Charities had a KAL (Knit Along) a few days ago, using this pattern, I decided to join in and give it a try.  Can you guess what it is?


With 8ply yarn doubled and 6.00mm needles, you cast on 30 stitches and do 6 rows of k1, p1 rib.  On the 7th row you increase to 60 sts by knitting into the front and back of each stitch. Rows 8 to 47 are garter stitch and on row 48 you need to decrease by k2tog all across, leaving you with 30 sts. Rows 49 to 54 are k1, p1 rib again and then you cast off, leaving about 12 inches (30cm) or so for sewing up.

Next, you fold in half and sew the cast on and cast off edges together then continue sewing 'around the corner' to close one end.  This is what you'll end up with ...


Have you guessed what it is yet ?  Well, its a one size fits all and is very popular in nursing homes as they don't fall off.


Its a Banana Bedsock and here it is on my daughter's foot - she's a size 7. It also fits my son-in-law's huge size 13 foot too but of course on him, the cuff is much smaller.  I just now have to make another one so I'll have a pair. Oh if you're interested, the pattern comes from this site.  I think its a very clever pattern.

I've only been able to knit or crochet for short periods lately as I'm experiencing pain in my right upper arm which I'm hoping and praying has not been caused by my knitting or crochet. Seeing the doc about it later this week so I hope it can get sorted out soon.  In the meantime, I'm sticking to small projects and made another baby's jacket last weekend.


The pattern for this little jacket is available on Ravelry here. I used Patons DK Smoothie with a 4.00mm hook. I bought this yarn from the Mill Shop for 50c a ball and have about 7.5 balls left so goodness knows what I'll make with it. Couldn't resist such a bargain though and its quite nice to work with - very soft.

That's it from me for now. Enjoy the rest of the week and thanks for visiting.
xoxox


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Dorothy! Glad you are feeling well enough to do a little hooky business. Those booties are so clever! I thought it was a purse. Ha-ha. What do I know?

    And that little sweater is darling. Don't you just love making baby things? I'm still hung up on doilies right now.

    Your package is about ready to go. I haven't forgotten you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorothy! What a fun project the booties are! I thought it was a shawlette or collar! The sweater is just sweet. I'm so sorry that you're having pain.. I hope it doesn't cramp your crochet and knitting style! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you. xox