Monday, May 28, 2012

One is never enough

They're like M&Ms or peanuts - one is never enough.  I've been making granny squares - the good old fashioned favourites and they are so addictive.
These ones will be going to Japan.  Knit4Charities had a CAL (crochet-a-long) last weekend when members had the opportunity to take part in being involved in a little history making.  A group of people in Japan are attempting to create the world's largest granny square blanket which will be entered in the Guinness Book of Records. The blanket will then be divided back into regular size afghans and donated to temporary housing facilities in Tohoku, Japan, to support victims of the March 2011 earthquake.  The largest crocheted blanket currently registered with Guinness World Records measures about 286 m2. To create a Granny Square blanket of equal size, they need at least 7,150 squares of 20 x 20 cm or 8 x 8 inch.

While on the granny square 'kick' I made these two for my Australiacrochet partner in the June round of the 2 x 7" square exchange.  Her colour choices are orange, lemon and pink so I hope these will be ok.

The girls who work with my daughter are asking if I'll be making the fingerless gloves again this year so I've been fiddling around a bit with a pattern which I think I'm now happy with. Instead of crochet cuffs (working into the back loops of sc) I wondered how knitted 1x1 rib would look with the rest crocheted.  I'm halfway through the second glove so will be able to show you a picture maybe tomorrow.

Other than grannies and gloves, I'm still working on the toddler's Tunisian jacket plus a few other UFOs.  From reading other people's blogs, I take comfort in knowing I'm not the only one who stumbles across an interesting pattern, prints it out for future use but can't wait to get started so runs off to the stash to grab some yarn and starts it straight away. Are you like that too?



 Just a 'heads up' for Aussie crocheters who are hooked on hooks. KnitPro have available a soft-touch hook which is VERY similar to the gorgeous Etimo hooks that have been my all time favourite and will probably remain so. However, the Etimo hooks are not available in Australia and to buy the set from overseas is rather expensive when you factor in the postage cost.  I bought some of the KnitPro hooks to give them a try and am very pleased with them.  At just $3.50 (Aus) a hook, how can you go wrong?  If you'd like to know where I bought mine, leave me a comment and I'll get back to you.


8 comments:

  1. I love your granny squares and I agree, they are very addictive. I recently bought a knitpro hook and I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the white strope granny squares, the look really effective.

    The knitpro hooks look great, i would love to know where to get them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There really isn't anything quite like the traditional granny square, is there? Your two-color ones are beautiful and will be a fantastic addition to the blanket. I can't even imagine how big that blanket will be when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the need to do some grannies. I'm thinking of using red, white and blue. Hus, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colours in your granny squares,Do you know how many squares have been made so far??
    Those hooks soft to hold, good price also.
    I have to ask where did you buy them :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find granny squares very addicting, too. What a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making granny squares because they don't require much concentration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dorothy, I have a tulip hook that i bought off ebay from overseas that is m favourite now. where did you buy the Knitpro hooks from?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate hearing from you. xox